Your name or email adress:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

+ Reply to Thread
    + Post New Thread
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    1. Is it bad to run everyday?

I just started yesterday and after running for a few minutes I felt like ****.

2. Re: Is it bad to run everyday?

I just started yesterday and after running for a few minutes I felt like ****.
      yes it is. If you are starting from ground zero on a fitness level, what do you expect lol.

3. Re: Is it bad to run everyday?

yes it is. If you are starting from ground zero on a fitness level, what do you expect lol.
      how often do you think someone who is starting from ground zero should be running?

4. Re: Is it bad to run everyday?

how often do you think someone who is starting from ground zero should be running?
      http://www.c25k.com/

Lots of people have had success with this, though it depends on what your definition of 'ground zero' is. For a reasonably fit person, jogging 3 miles straight every other day at a pace that doesn't get you out of breath may be a fine starting point. If you can't go more than a few minutes without walking... c25k. True beginners' program, as you can tell from the 'couch' part of the title.

Also--and I can't stress this enough--don't go too fast. Run at a pace that feels easy to you and build your endurance first; this gets your aerobic fitness up and also gradually strengthens your tendons and soft tissue so you don't get hurt. Called 'building a base.'

5. Re: Is it bad to run everyday?

I personally think someone starting from ground zero should nor run at all, especially when overweight. Control your fat loss by calorie and sculpt your body with weight training. If you want to do cardio, walk. Save your knees.

6. Re: Is it bad to run everyday?

Last edited by Alexanabolic; Today at 04:10 PM.

7. Re: Is it bad to run everyday?

Lots of people have had success with this, though it depends on what your definition of 'ground zero' is. For a reasonably fit person, jogging 3 miles straight every other day at a pace that doesn't get you out of breath may be a fine starting point. If you can't go more than a few minutes without walking... c25k. True beginners' program, as you can tell from the 'couch' part of the title.

Also--and I can't stress this enough--don't go too fast. Run at a pace that feels easy to you and build your endurance first; this gets your aerobic fitness up and also gradually strengthens your tendons and soft tissue so you don't get hurt. Called 'building a base.'
      Good advice here. I've pulled both of my calves trying to push too hard/fast. Those nagging injuries have prevented me from being able to run at all for a while and have hampered my leg routines. I've come to the realization that I'm not 25 anymore and can't pick up where I left off almost 20 years ago. I'm stuck on elliptical and stationary bikes until I heal. I hate not being able to run outside.

8. Re: Is it bad to run everyday?

Good advice here. I've pulled both of my calves trying to push too hard/fast. Those nagging injuries have prevented me from being able to run at all for a while and have hampered my leg routines. I've come to the realization that I'm not 25 anymore and can't pick up where I left off almost 20 years ago. I'm stuck on elliptical and stationary bikes until I heal. I hate not being able to run outside.
      does age mater at how rigorous my workout should be because im not actually 33

9. Re: Is it bad to run everyday?

I would ask you why you're running.

If the answer is to lose weight, read the stickies, learn where your priorities need to be in terms of weight (or more importantly fat) loss, and try again.

If the answer is because you understand fat loss, and want to increase your TDEE, I'd suggest to first find activities you enjoy that can increase your TDEE (for example basketball, or swimming, or a long walk instead of a short run), and if there are none, to find activities you might not enjoy but that are productive (house work, lawn work, etc). If you want to raise your TDEE, its always better to either be doing something you like, or doing something productive, and it sounds like running is neither for you.

If the answer is because you actually enjoy running and want to get better at it, refer to "shesprints"' post.

10. Re: Is it bad to run everyday?

I would ask you why you're running.

If the answer is to lose weight, read the stickies, learn where your priorities need to be in terms of weight (or more importantly fat) loss, and try again.

If the answer is because you understand fat loss, and want to increase your TDEE, I'd suggest to first find activities you enjoy that can increase your TDEE (for example basketball, or swimming, or a long walk instead of a short run), and if there are none, to find activities you might not enjoy but that are productive (house work, lawn work, etc). If you want to raise your TDEE, its always better to either be doing something you like, or doing something productive, and it sounds like running is neither for you.

If the answer is because you actually enjoy running and want to get better at it, refer to "shesprints"' post.
      Yeah for sure--I was going off the assumption that OP had a reason for wanting to run, specifically.

Biking and swimming are also good ways to get in cardio, among others--heck, yeah, walking/hiking is great too. I'm not one to put down cardio and say 'only diet' because I've seen too much research about how good it is for your health and even the development of things that will also aid you in lifting, like mitochondrial growth and better work capacity.