Your name or email adress:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

+ Reply to Thread
    + Post New Thread
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    1. Chainsaw starting rope is hard to pull

Starting rope is hard to pull unless I completely remove the spark plug. With the spark plug installed (even if it is not connected) the cord is hard to pull. You can not pull it more than a few inches-- it kind of steps around, not far enough to generate a spark. Any suggestions on what I should look for or try?
      Ron

2. Re: Chainsaw starting rope is hard to pull

Hi and welcome to TSF

With the plug removed it should extremely easy to pull, if it is not my first guess is the clylinder is scoured up and/or bad bearing(s)/bushing.

Pull the muffler, get the piston below the exhaust ports, shin a bright light into the port and look/see.

The bore should be nice and smooth. Is it?

What causes this?, lack of lubrication i.e. gas and oil mixed wrong most times.

Let us know.

BG

3. Re: Chainsaw starting rope is hard to pull

Basement Geek,
      Thank you very much for responding to my posting.
      I have checked the Piston and it looks good -- bright and shiny and no scour marks that I can see. My guess is that I would have to take the engine out to check the bearings -- is that correct?
      Another question -- When I press the Primer Bulb I see feel moving thru the fuel line (from tank to Carb). Should I also see fuel moving thru the line when I pull the starting cord?
      I look forward to hearing from you again.

4. Re: Chainsaw starting rope is hard to pull

Can't really say on the primer, my saws don't have primers. I would say on a
      saw carb it may just supply air to the bottom of the diaphram thus push gas into the back end of the carb.

The piston has to below the exhaust port to check the cylinder! did you do that?

If the cylinder is clean, it has to be the bearings. That is assuming that the chain is not too tight. Better yet take the bar and chain off.

There should only be 3 bearings/bushings. Front, rear and crank/rod bearing.

BG

5. Re: Chainsaw starting rope is hard to pull

Hi BG,
      Thanks again for a speedy reply.

Before receiving this response, I had checked the wrong thing. When I said it was shiny and bright, I was looking at the Piston not the cylinder. But I just checked the cylinder above the Piston. It does not look like it is scoured. It looks like a white plastic lining but it LOOKS smooth with a small sploch of dried oil or something brown near the top on one side. At the bottom of both sides, (just above the to of the piston, it looks like small openings for the exhaust to exit maybe??????

I already have the bar and chain off of the saw.

I'm beginning to think it may just be the carburetor. One thing that I didn't mention is that the saw doesn't run even momentarily on starter fluid. I didn't mention it because ever since right after buying this saw I had this "pulling the starter cord" problem. Occassionly, if I pulled it for a long time, it would start. That is when I put this saw aside and bought another one.

With the top cover off, I can see the fly wheel rotate (even with the spark plug installed and connected). It does go completely around. It doesn't pull as smoothly as I think it should -- but I may be wrong.

Since the flywheel does go completely around, and since the coil does generate a spark, it seems like it should start or at least try to start if the carb was working correctly.

Any thoughts or suggestions on any of this?

6. Re: Chainsaw starting rope is hard to pull

Never seen a plastic looking cylinder, which means nothing >)

The top opening should be exhausts ports, bottom ports are the intakes.

With the plug out spray something like WD40 in it. Does it pull easier now?

It should fire some with ether. Open choke, open throttle. Really short spray.
      Close choke. Now pull.

Does it try to run now?

Have you tried a new plug yet?

BG

7. Re: Chainsaw starting rope is hard to pull

Thanks again for the response.
      I will try all of your suggestions and get back to you tomorrow.
      Ron

8. Re: Chainsaw starting rope is hard to pull

Thanks again for the response.
      I will try all of your suggestions and get back to you tomorrow.
      Ron
      Hi BG, I am sorry I haven't gotten back to you before this. I have been really busy for the past few days and haven't had a chance to try the things you suggested. I am going out of town for 4 or 5 days and will not be able to work on the saw agin until Sunday or Monday.

I will update you as soon as I do your suggestions.

Ron

9. Re: Chainsaw starting rope is hard to pull

Does the saw have a compression release button, My Husqvarna 455 has on located on top just under the handle.

10. Re: Chainsaw starting rope is hard to pull

Does the saw have a compression release button, My Husqvarna 455 has on located on top just under the handle.
      Thanks for your response.

No it does not have a compression release button.

I have a few items that have been suggested to me, but I have been out of town for a while and have not got to them. I will start on them today.

Here is a few findings that I hav uncovered that I have not yet passed on to my other support person.

1. It will not start with starting fluid sprayed into the throat.
      2. When I push the primer bulb, I can see fuel flowing thru the fuel line from the tank to the carburetor.
      3. It still won't start.
      4. When I immediately remove and check the spark plug, it is dry. I have read that that means fuel is not getting thru the carburetor and that I need to clean or replace it.

After I do the other suggestions mentioned above. I will move on to removing and cleaning the carburetor.

I would welcome your opinion on the above.

Thank you again for proposing a possible fix to my problem.

Ron