Your name or email adress:
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

+ Reply to Thread
    + Post New Thread
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    1. SBS2011 remote desktop using 2X Client

I have a friend who has a remote desktop connection setup to a computer of his that I use. The connection is setup through SBS 2011 Standard but the actual computer is running Windows 7. I go to the SBS2011 gateway website with IE, login to the server, and click connect next to the computer. This then loads the remote desktop using ActiveX. I was looking for a way to connect to it via 2X Client web app for Chrome. If I type in the website as the host and my username and password that I use to logon to the SBS2011 as the username and password, it connects, but not to my computer, but to the SBS2011 machine on my friends network. Is there a way to specify the computer I want to connect to?
      Say the gateway website is a.b.com and the computer name of the computer I want to connect to is called 123-COMP4. What would I put as the host to connect to the computer I want? Also, my user is 123\Username.

2. Re: SBS2011 remote desktop using 2X Client

Screenshots

3. Re: SBS2011 remote desktop using 2X Client

OK, review. Say this:
      Server Name: a.b.com
      Computer Name: 123-COMP1
      User: username
      Domain: 123

What would I put in the host field?

4. Re: SBS2011 remote desktop using 2X Client

The basic issue you're having is that when you connect via your browser and then click connect to the computer, the "server" is starting the remote desktop connection (RDP) to the computer inside the network. The 2x is itself a RDP client so it's making a desktop connection to the server. The only way I could see you doing what you want to with your chrome device is to change the listening port on the workstation from the default 3389 to a port of your choice not currently in use, and then forward that port through the firewall to your computer on the network. Check Nigeria Forum on how to do that.

Hopefully that all makes sense.

5. Re: SBS2011 remote desktop using 2X Client

Well actually he has it setup on secure 443. I also have the 2X desktop client. What's weird is I can't seem to replicate the connection that the Chrome app gets w/ the desktop client.

6. Re: SBS2011 remote desktop using 2X Client

Well actually he has it setup on secure 443. I also have the 2X desktop client. What's weird is I can't seem to replicate the connection that the Chrome app gets w/ the desktop client.
      No, the SBS2011 secure website uses 443, not the RDP

RDP uses 3389 unless you customize it as djaburg stated, and when the port is customized then the site does not work anymore in IE more or less any other browser.
      When you do customize the port that RDP listens to, you have to use a RDP client like 2x

In Microsoft's Remote Desktop Client, where you put the IP address, you add :4000 or whatever you change the port to.

In 2x, under create new RDP connection, you have a section for port, default is 3389, you change it there to whatever you customize it to.

Again as stated, you have to open that port on your router and windows desktop firewall if enabled

7. Re: SBS2011 remote desktop using 2X Client

He told me he had the computer I'm connecting to setup through secure 443. He didn't want an unsecured 3389.

8. Re: SBS2011 remote desktop using 2X Client

Also, he doesn't have it setup to enter the IP address into the remote desktop. The only way I know is through the connect button which takes me directly there.

9. Re: SBS2011 remote desktop using 2X Client

OK, 3 things.
      1. I recreated what I think is the connection to the server that the 2X Chrome app (I'm not allowed to login to the SBS2011 server but I could see the login screen. I would tell me I didn't have permissions. Now with Remote Desktop it says login failed.). It's on port 3389. Port 443 just stays there saying "Configuring remote connection". Then it says fail.
      2. Is there a way I could setup a network listener of some sort and find what port it's connecting to and how?
      3. Remote Desktop Connection has semi-saved the way of connecting. The computer name is in the auto fill list in the setup window but it says it can't find the computer when I click connect. I think it was searching on my network. Is there a way I can tell it to search on the SBS2010 server?

10. Re: SBS2011 remote desktop using 2X Client

OK, I found out how to tell it to search the remote server on Remote Desktop. But is there a way to transfer these settings to 2X Client?